ETHEL ANN COCHRAN SHINN
By Marion Shinn
A special thanks to Edith (Shinn) Erickson, my sister, for her
assistance in writing this biography. Her files contain detailed
year by year accounts of important and trivial events in the life of
Ethel Shinn and other members of the family.
Ethel Ann Cochran, the second daughter of John and Emma Cochran,
was born on the family farm on "lieu land" east of Colfax,
Washington near what is now the Palouse Highway. The farm was on
land granted to the railroad by the Federal Government to speed the
development of the west. The timing of her arrival was inconvenient.
In a widely circulated letter sent after celebrating her 80th
birthday she wrote: "I remember Mother said I arrived at noon
September 26, 1887 on a Monday. The thrashers were there for dinner.
Father was quite flustered--was the crop they were thrashing or me
the most important? I am here so I either got the needed attention
or lived in spite of the commotion."
Ethel started the first grade at Glenwood school. Her sister,
Edna, had been held back so both could start together. They worked
closely together and were frequently mistaken for twins.
When John Cochran decided to move from the Palouse to Cottonwood
all the belongings of the family went in one wagon. Each of the
seven children were allowed ONE toy. All the family belongings that
would not fit in the wagon were left behind. Edna, Ethel, and Mary
were the big girls (ages 14, 12, and 10) and they rode horseback and
herded the cattle and horses ahead of the wagon. The family crossed
the Clearwater river on the Silcott ferry at what is now 5th and
Railroad in Lewiston. The cattle and horses were driven into the
water and they swam to the other side.
The family stopped for a time in Cottonwood. They lived in a one
room house with a lean-to for the kitchen. John Cochran went to
Doumecq and filed a homestead on a piece of land, but conditions
were too primitive to move the family at that time. John could make
money in Cottonwood. He hired out with his team and wagon to haul
freight from Lewiston. The railroad had not been built to the
prairie. The wagon road was narrow, rocky, and steep. It went up the
old Fountain grade and meandered through the forgotten towns of
Forest, Morrowtown, across Icicle Flats, past Keuterville--far south
of the present highway. As soon as possible John Cochran moved his
family to Whitebird, a trip of about 40 miles. A grade school was
operating and the Cochran children enrolled as soon as they arrived.
The homestead at Doumecq was only a dozen miles away, but it took
half a day to travel up the "cow trail" to the place that
would eventually be called HOME. Most of the travel was by
horseback. The crude road/trail was steep and narrow. A man
traveling down with a wagon usually tied a jackpine on the back to
keep it from running over the team.
In her later years Ethel wrote detailed descriptions of the trip
from the Palouse country and told of many interesting Doumecq
episodes involving the Cochran family. Some of those memoirs were
printed as a series in the July 1979, June 1980, and June 1981
editions of the Chronicles.
Edna, the eldest sister, graduated from the eighth grade in
Whitebird during the winter term in 1902-03. Immediately after
graduating, she took an exam at Grangeville, the county seat, and
received a temporary teaching certificate. She was given a contract
to teach a four month term in the new Canfield school starting in
May 1903. Her students included Ethel and four other siblings.
Ethel graduated from the eighth grade in August 1903. The two
girls, Edna and Ethel, went to Lewiston and enrolled in the Lewiston
State Normal School in September. Edna was required to attend Normal
School to keep her certificate (granted by examination) valid. The
money Edna had earned as a teacher was enough to get both of them
started in school. Tuition was free for in-state students. They both
worked for their Board and Room. Edna took a short course to
validate her certificate and returned to teach in a rural classroom.
Ethel stayed at Lewiston Normal for a year and received a third
grade certificate. (That was the level of the certificate--not the
grade she was to teach.)
Her first teaching position was in a country school near
Grangeville; the next job was on Joseph plains. After teaching two
years in the rural one-classroom schools she returned to Lewiston
Normal to upgrade her certificate.
Ethel had saved a little money from her teachers salary and could
spend part of her two years in Lewiston in the college dormitories.
Morris Hall (girls dorm) and Reid Hall (Boys dorm) were operated as
cooperatives and the expenses were pro-rated. When all the rooms
were occupied the total expense for each student averaged $9.00 a
month. The dorms were crude. There was no inside plumbing and the
girls washed at a outside bench with a line of wash basins. The new
elaborate Lewis Hall was built while she was there and it was a
great improvement. The rooms were heated by individual fireplaces
and the group bath and toilet facilities were inside.
She taught in Nez Perce for a year and made enough money to
attend the 1909 Alaska-Yukon Pacific Exposition in Seattle. During
the two years she taught at the Doumecq school (1909-19l1) some of
the students were her younger siblings.
The engagement of Ethel Cochran to Benjamin Ray Shinn was
announced in the spring of 1911. Perhaps the courting was obvious to
the older members of the family, but it came as a surprise to 10
year old sister Ruth. Fifty years later she recalled that before the
announcement she thought Ray was just a good family friend who came
to see Father, Mother, Edna, Ethel, Mary, Omie, Inez, Zenna, Robert,
Ruth, Sidney, and Fiddle (the dog) with equal regard for all.
On August 30, 1911 Ray Shinn and Ethel Cochran were married.
Sister Mary Cochran was the bridesmaid and brother Charlie Shinn was
the best man. At the time of their 50th anniversary Inez wrote:
"The (rasp)berry patch back of the house stands out clearly in
my memory. Was there ever such a patch! I remember Ethel's wedding
day had to be juggled around to miss berry picking day." This
may have been an exaggeration. The wedding was a major event in the
life of the family. None of the other siblings were married at the
family home and none of their spouses were long time friends before
marrying into the family.
In the Memory Book assembled for Ethel and Ray's 50th anniversary
Ruth made the observation: "In today's vernacular, Sid and I
thought Ray was the most; He made cute little baskets out of pecan
shells and whittled marvelous little things with his pocket knife
and made the dandiest willow whistles. He played the mouth harp and
sang the funniest little songs. And none of the other little kids
had a brother-in-law but us."
After the reception the newly weds loaded their belongings in a
top buggy and were off to Ray's homestead. The 160 acre ranch was
located about three miles north of the Cochran home. There was a
beautiful view of the mountains and canyons leading to Salmon River.
The party telephone line was already full so a second system was
organized. The barbed wire on the top of the rail fences was
insulated and used as the conductor. The Cochran house had two
phones, one for each system, and was often the transfer point for
messages between people in different telephone systems.
An important day in their life was the birth of their first son,
Louis Benjamin on June 4, 1912. Little Louis was called Peter for
the first few years. He was the first grandchild and was given a
great deal of attention by Grandparents, Aunts, and Uncles. Their
second child, Edith Eleanor, arrived two years later on April 27,
1914. For a time she was called Polly by her doting Aunts and
On March 11, 1916 disaster stuck the Shinn's. A fire destroyed
the new house on the homestead. Among the things saved were the
wedding dress, the old Shinn family Bible (dating back to the
1700's) and a quilt pieced by Grandmother Pickard for Ethel many
before. It is said that Louis yelled, "Oh, oh, our stovepipe
is on fire." Edith, age 2, watched the flame and said
"Pretty, pretty." An old tool shed was used for a home
until other arrangements could be made.
The next year, 1917, the Shinn's bought the Oscar Canfield
homestead. Their new home bounded the John Cochran ranch on the
south. The property was purchased from C.C. Smith. He was a land
speculator and was privately called "10%" Smith. The same
year the Cochrans moved to the Horse Heaven Hills near
Kennewick,Washington. Robert bought the homestead, but soon traded
it to Clark McCoy for a piece of land nearer Rice Creek called the
Bicksell Place. Clark and Edna moved with their family to the
Maurice was born on April 29, 1918. With the addition of another
baby, the amount of house work increased. Ray had to do the washing
a few times and he felt there was an easier way. He immediately
bought new A.B.C washing machine--a sturdy unit with a wooden tub
with agitator on the lid. It was powered by a belt attached to a two
cycle gasoline engine. It was the first power driven unit to replace
the washboard on Doumecq. It was part of the family until 1930. The
engine was moved to barn and performed many more years of useful
On March 11, 1921 their fourth child, Marion Luther, arrived on
the scene. The older children were in the middle of a whooping cough
epidemic, but Marion did not get sick.
The crops were very bad in the early 1920's. The weather was dry
and grasshoppers destroyed those that survived. In 1922 C.C. Smith
demanded payment. Ray signed over the farm to Smith but immediately
rented it from him. Most of the people of the community did not know
of the change in ownership.
The year of 1923 was one of trials and tribulations. Edith and
Maurice contracted scarlet fever in October. They were the only
children in the community to have the disease. The malady was
discovered while Edith was at school so there was a vacation for all
the other children while the building was fumigated with burning
sulfur. Inez came back to Doumecq to help with the scarlet fever,
but soon went to help sister Edna. Dr. Foskett had moved Edna to
Whitebird to be closer to medical help.
After sister Edna died during childbirth on November 17, 1923,
the Shinn family moved to the Cochran homestead--a few pieces of
furniture at a time. Ethel took over as Acting Postmaster. Her
mother held the position for 15 years starting about 1903 and Sister
Edna took over about 1918. Ethel was officially appointed postmaster
March 4, 1924 and continued in that position until 1946 when she and
Ray moved to Lewiston. The pay for 4th class postmasters was
determined by a formula which slightly exceeded the amount of stamps
canceled. When grain and cream were shipped by parcel post the
position paid very well. By the late 1920's express replaced parcel
post for shipment of heavy goods.
The Shinn household was a center of activity in the community.
During the slack seasons many of the men of the community came and
waited for the mail on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Some brought
cans of cream but others came just to be sociable. Sometimes eight
or ten horses would be tied to the hitching rack. The men would sit
in a row on the front porch with their legs dangling over the edge.
Most of the guys smoked hand rolled Bull Durham cigarettes and let
the familiar sack tag hang out of their shirt pocket. The more
discriminating smokers carried PA (Prince Albert) or Velvet cans of
higher grade tobacco. They all knew NO SMOKING was allowed in the
house or post-office and stayed well away from the door,
Ethel operated a little store in the back of the Post Office
space for the convenience of the patrons. She sold an assortment of
candy, but the most popular was the penny or six for a penny
variety. Strike-anywhere matches were always available for sale by
the box or carton. Her bulk supply of cloves and allspice did not
sell as well as the other staples--there was still half a gallon
stored in her kitchen forty years later.
Some of the older men in the community were not well educated,
but it was still a male dominated society. They would come to the
Post Office to get help with their financial and business problems.
Frequently Ethel took time to write letters for the men who could
not put together meaningful sentences on the written page.
Ray was the Clerk for the School Board for several terms. In the
late l920's some of the voting neighbors were mad at him; they wrote
Ethel's name on the ballot and replaced him. She kept the position
for years. The school, highway district, and cemetery records all
were at the Shinn house for three decades. The County Superintendent
sent Ethel the seventh and eighth grade examination tests each
spring and the students took the examinations in the Shinn dining
The library at the schoolhouse was limited. Ethel negotiated with
the Idaho State Library in Boise to provide books for the community.
Every three months 50 books were shipped to her free of charge and
the old ones were returned by parcel post. She lined the books on
the shelf in the back of the post office. Children and adults alike
leaned, loitered, and selected books to borrow. They were checked
out, just like a regular library.
The house was large with extra bed rooms. In 1924 the Shinn's
started boarding the school teacher. Except for two or three years a
teacher made her home in the front room for the next twenty years.
The first teacher was Mrs. Tibbs, a older lady whose main interest
was her mining claims in another part of Idaho.
In April 1925 Ray broke his leg below the knee. He was taking
care of cattle in the canyon near Mary and Omie's cabins. The
country is steep rough country. After his leg was broken, he eased
his newly-broken horse up against a large rock and pulled himself
into the saddle. He had pliers in his pocket and was ready to cut
the wire fences on the way home. As he approached the first gate he
saw the glow of a kerosene lantern in the distance. It was near
midnight and Ethel and Louis had come to look for him. Late the next
afternoon Dr.Chipman came from Grangeville to set his leg. Ray spent
the next eight weeks in bed. By August he was working in harvest
with his crutches strapped to the farming equipment.
The new Airline radio, purchased in 1926, was tuned by adjusting
the three dials on the front. At first, only one person could hear
on the earphone, but soon Ray bought a horn so a roomful of people
could listen. The radio required three batteries. The A (a car
battery) could be re-charged, but the B, and C's wore out quickly
and were expensive. The radio was set up in the front living room
and the family only listened on special occasions. Everyone scrubbed
their hands and changed out of their dirty overalls before sitting
in the parlor with the radio. A special community event in 1928 was
listening to the Herbert Hoover/Al Smith Presidential election.
Smith was backed by New York's Tammany Hall and campaigned to repeal
the Volstead Act (Prohibition of Alcohol). The "drys"
gathered at the Shinns, and the "wets" supporting Smith
went to the other radio on the other end of Doumecq. The story goes
that the "wets" turned off their radio to save their
battery as soon as Hoover was declared the probable winner.
The rural school three-quarters of a mile from the house provided
instruction to the eighth grade. Some families considered this
enough education and after graduation the children went to work.
When Louis graduated from the eighth grade in 1925 a major family
decision and financial obligation was made. Ethel and Ray agreed
that the children must get more education. For the next fifteen
years one or more of the Shinn children were in school away from
Doumecq. Louis went to Hover for his freshman year and stayed with
his Grandfather. After that both he and Edith went to high school in
Grangeville, a distance of 40 miles. Maurice spent the first year in
Grangeville, but joined his siblings in a "batch camp" in
Lewiston while Edith and Louis were going to Normal School. Marion
joined them in Lewiston in 1934. Years later Ethel was asked how she
could send 13 and 14 year old children to a "big city" to
fend for themselves at school. Her answer, "I had already
taught them what was right and wrong!" She did insist that each
child write three times a week. Some of the letters were drab and
uninteresting, but she received one nearly every Monday, Wednesday
and Friday until the children were adults.
No church building was constructed in the community. Sunday
School services were held weekly at the school house and most of the
Doumecq people participated. It was a place to go, even if they had
not been carried away with the spirit. Occasionally an itinerant
Baptist or Methodist preacher would hold formal services and conduct
baptisms. In 1926 an evangelical group came and held a revival
meeting at the school house. Some of the leaders in the local Sunday
school were suddenly "saved" and became "Holy
Rollers." Many old friendships were shattered. Their services
were quite a side show for the young people who did not join the new
religious movement. Church was no longer part of the community, but
for Ray and Ethel Sunday was still a special day of rest and
contemplation. It was 20 years before they had an opportunity to
participate regularly in formal religious services.
The big house on the homestead had plenty of space. Ray's mother,
Elizabeth Shinn, moved back to Doumecq in 1926 and became part of
the family. She had spent several years working in Canada, but could
no longer work and support herself. She stayed with her eldest son
until she died about three years later. Social Security, the
Townsend Plan, and other plans to care for the elderly were not
considered for more than half a decade.
The road to Doumecq was narrow and steep. In places it almost
hung over the river. Several parts of the road sloped sharply to the
outside and it was hard to hold vehicles in place. In the spring of
1927 Mary, Omie, and Zenna arranged a trip to Doumecq to show off
new-baby Paul McCarthy. Sid drove them from Hover in Robert's big
Buick automobile. Heavy rains had made the dirt road almost
impassable and after much slipping and sliding they were stuck. Ray
drove half way to Whitebird with a team and hack to get them.
An advertisement in the Lewiston paper caught Ray's eye in the
summer of 1928. The Sells Floto Circus was coming to Lewiston. Dan
Tisor, a young working man in the community, had an automobile, so
Ray arranged for him to take the family to Lewiston. The day was hot
and every tire went flat at least twice during the 140 mile trip.
The last few miles into Lewiston were traversed on the rim. The
family arrived too late for the excitement. While unloading the
circus from the railroad car, one female elephant, Mary, broke loose
and raced up the street swinging her trunk. The Mayor (Dr. Braddock)
shot her, just after she had broken off a water hydrant in a garage.
In 1929 the Shinn's bought a 1923 Buick touring car. Louis, age
16, drove it home. No one in the family had ever driven an
automobile. A month after getting the car Ray decided to drive the
Buick to Hover, more than 300 miles. It was the first time he had
ever operated any power-driven vehicle but he was determined to
learn. It was an experience for everyone. The car did not follow
verbal instructions and even with a single road system the maps were
confusing. Uncle Bill Cochran held a big family gathering at his
home in Finley and many relatives gathered, ate, and talked about
keeping in touch. The family visited many friends along the way and
marveled at the convenience of motor travel.
Maurice graduated from high school in 1936 and decided to stay
home and help on the farm. He worked there until Ray and Ethel moved
to Lewiston a decade later. Ray recognized that Maurice was a good
worker, but had difficulty giving him authority to make decisions.
They expanded the farm by purchasing the old Canfield place where
Maurice had been born.
Edna Cochran, Robert's wife, died near Boyd, WA during childbirth
in April 1937. Ethel went to the funeral and returned to Doumecq
with Delbert, nearly 2, and Eleanor, just 6. The other three
children came to Doumecq when school was out in May. Five children
in the household changed Ethel and Ray's lives. The Canfield school
became very important to them again. No teacher was available in
1942 as part of the shortages of World War II. Ethel taught Delbert
and Eleanor at home. By this time the older children had joined
their father near Colville.
1938 was an eventful year. Marion graduated from high school in
May. Edith married Einer Erickson at Doumecq in June. The wedding
was held at the same place her parents married 27 years before.
Louis married Rowena Buckles in September at Lewiston. Ray was also
excited because a set of twin calves were born to one of his
heifers--a first in 30 years of cattle raising experiences.
In 1941 a family reunion was held at the Grover Montague home in
Yakima, Washington. It was a grand affair. Omie McCarthy and sons
flew out from Alaska. Lowell Kimble and Judy McCoy, the start of the
next generation, were noisy and underfoot. John McCoy, the first in
the family to join the service, was there in uniform. Travel was not
comfortable. Ray rode the whole distance, 300 miles, in the back of
a pick-up sitting on a tire. It was agreed that the family was
starting to move apart and something must be done to keep people in
contact. Bob McCoy was elected to the position of CHIEF of the clan,
but there was no discussion of what that title really meant.
John Cochran moved to Colfax from Hover and his main interest was
writing books about relatives. He wrote many letters and gave
detailed reports to anyone who would listen. Ethel and other
siblings worked with him whenever possible to make the narrative
understandable. The first book was published by Knapp Publishing
Company of Spokane the next year and sold for 50 cents each.
The winter of 1943 was icy and cold. Ray slipped on the ice and
broke his leg for the third time. His rheumatism hurt most of the
winter. The world was changing and life on Doumecq was very
different from earlier years. The small land-owners were selling to
their neighbors and moving away. The rural schools were closing
because of the shortage of teachers and lack of students. Most of
the draft age men of the community were in military units or working
in jobs that were declared essential to the war effort. A few young
women joined the WACS and others moved to the big cities for higher
paying jobs. Everyone did their part to help the war effort.
Consumer goods were in short supply, but in the spring of 1945
Ray's name was at the top of the list and he was able to purchase a
new tractor-the first for the Shinn farm. There was no need for a
string of work horses and gasoline replaced hay as the power that
pulled the plow. A new way of farming was just around the corner.
During the winter of 1945-46 Maurice began to talk about leaving
the farm in the spring. He knew that Ethel and Ray should get out of
the cold and snow of the Doumecq winters. Ray went to the Clearwater
valley to find a place to retire that was warmer but still had
plenty of open space. He located 80 acres of land on the south edge
of Lewiston Orchards that was for sale. The road to Tammany went
along the west edge but there was no water or other utilities on
site. It was planted to wheat and Ray purchased it at a moderate
price. The 1946 wheat crop paid for half of the farm. The Doumecq
farm was rented to a young family for three years.
The move to Lewiston was long, tedious and emotionally painful.
The large house on Doumecq held far more furniture than was needed
in Lewiston. The attic was filled with dozens of boxes of
"things too good to throw away" that had been left over a
forty year period by John Cochran, all the unmarried siblings, and
the McCoy's. The younger generation went to the attic and threw
enough away to keep a bonfire going for three days. Hundreds of
letters that had accumulated over the years were stored in huge card
board boxes. Several truck loads of furniture, personal goods, and
the 15 year old family cat were hauled to Lewiston in September
There was no house or farm buildings on the Lewiston property so
Ray bought a 12 x 16 foot tent and mounted it on a wooden platform.
Furniture, including a bed and kitchen stove, was crowded inside and
the tent served as living quarters while the new house was being
built. He started dealing with local government and utility
companies to get a road, water, telephone and electricity to the
It was a long and hard winter. Ray dug his own ditch and hooked
one-inch pipe onto the irrigation main an eighth of a mile away from
the house. The water was untreated and muddy, but it did serve for
many purposes. Much of the drinking water was hauled in five gallon
cream cans from down-town. Many relatives and new made friends came
to help and soon a shell of a house was in place. World War II had
just ended and building materials were in short supply. The
construction industry was changing from plaster to a new product
called sheet-rock and very few people knew how to apply it
efficiently. Ray and all the helpers had a lot to learn about
construction. Ray and Ethel moved into the unfinished shell as soon
as the roof was in place.
They quickly became an active part of growing Lewiston Orchards.
Ray still had a team of horses and he used them to pull an old stage
coach the length of Thain Avenue in a Blossom Festival. Ethel became
a charter member and secretary of the National Retired Federal
Employees organization and later served as President. Both were very
active in the Community Church in leadership roles. Ethel taught
Church school for years and Ray sang bass and finally led the Choir.
Their home was the center of activity for young and old alike.
Friends gathered there for quilting parties, for Bible study, or
just visiting. Einer, Edith and Geneal Erickson lived in Colfax and
were in Lewiston nearly every weekend. Marion and family lived less
than a mile away and were there several times a week. Both Philip
and Donna considered it a second home. The standard fare for the
Sunday dinners was fried chicken and the ritual always included
going catching one live and butchering it.
In 1953 the Cochran clan met at the Methodist camp in Ocean Park
(operated by Erling and Inez Bergan) for their first real scheduled
reunion. Bob McCoy had been elected Chief at Yakima in 1942 and was
the prime mover in getting the group together. Ethel, with the help
of Clan Chief Bob, promoted the dream of an Education Fund to honor
her father, John E. Cochran. She "passed the hat" to
collect the first donations. Joan Montague was the first Treasurer.
The 1956 reunion was held on Lake Coeur d' Alene, and the 1959 was
at Manson. In 1961 the Clan met at Lewiston to celebrate Ethel and
Ray's 50th wedding anniversary--the first for the clan. There was
plenty of room for tents and a couple of extra pit-type toilets were
built to take care of the crowd. A trip to Doumecq was an
experience--the truck did not operate and some of the people walked
part of the distance. Ethel's siblings prepared an impressive
document telling of their memories of the 50 years.
In 1962 Lewis Clark Memorial Gardens, the private cemetery across
the street, bought 30 acres of their land for $1000 an acre. For the
first time in their life Ethel and Ray had money that was not needed
to invest in land, cattle, or machinery.
Ray had always said he was a farmer and he would never retire.
His dream did not come true. A heart problem slowed him to the point
he could no longer farm or take care of the animals. Every week a
pick-up load of cattle went to the sale yard. When all the cattle
were gone Ray lost his will to live and spent a lot of time looking
out the window toward the barn. He did not lose interest in the farm
or his family. One evening Ray spent the whole evening giving Marion
specific instructions how to proceed to get water rights on a dry
acre of the Lewiston property. The next morning, October 17, 1963,
he was dead in bed.
Ethel decided she could not stay home and grieve. In the fall of
1964 she and Zenna took a Greyhound bus tour to the east coast to
see the country and visit relatives. They stopped in Tennessee at
the old family home on the way east. On the return trip they stopped
in Texas and made contact with brother Sid, who had been estranged
from the family for over two decades.
In 1969 Ethel became involved in the newly organized Alumni
Association at Lewis-Clark Normal School, the new name for the
school she attended in 1903. She again became interested in
providing financial assistance to allow young people to go to
college. In 1971 she sent the Alumni Association enough money for a
tuition scholarship in the Vocational School. She was especially
interested in Vocational Education because her son, Marion, was the
Director of that new part of the school.
In mid-November 1972 she sent money, by mail, to the Alumni
Director to establish a permanent scholarship fund. Only the
interest was to be used for scholarships. The major criteria for
selection was NEED. The same morning the Alumni Director opened the
envelope with the scholarship money the obituary column in the Lewiston
Morning Tribune had an article reporting Ethel Shinn had died
suddenly at the age of 85.
About four in the afternoon of November 15, 1972 she called our
house and said "I don't feel good." Suddenly the telephone
was hung up. It was only half a mile to her house, but by the time
we got there she was dead.
Ethel attended three meetings the day before her death. She gave
the invocation at two of them. As we sat in her living room during
our nightly visit she told about her day, and reminded us it was
time to help her buy Christmas presents.
She is buried in Lewis Clark Memorial Garden beside her husband
Ray. Their grave site is less than a hundred yards from the home
they built and enjoyed during the last golden years of their lives.
It has been over twenty years since my mother, Ethel Cochran
Shinn, passed away. Her memory is still alive in some of the people
both son Phil and I meet in the day-to-day activities. Every month
or two some one will say "I remember your mother (or
grandmother)." Almost always that statement is followed by a
comment telling how that individual's life was changed by something
Ethel had done for them.
Ethel Ann Cochran Shinn September 26, 1887 - November 15, 1972
Reprinted from Cochran Chronicles, Volume 17, Number 1, October 1994
© JECFA 1994
More about Ethel